In Matthew 12:2, 14, the Pharisees plotted to kill Jesus, because He had exposed their evil attitudes and had overruled their authority. They were more concerned with following the rules of their religious system than showing love and mercy to people. They really disdained Jesus. In John 7:7, Jesus taught that the world hates Him because He testified that what it does is evil. In John 15:18-25, Jesus warns his disciples about hatred. He says that the world hated Jesus first. If He is persecuted, Christians will be persecuted. We do not belong to the world, and we have been chosen out of the world. That is why the world hates you. He who hates Jesus, hates God.
So if you take a stand for Jesus, you can count on some rejection. This “flies in the face” of many of us, who are by nature people pleasers, and don’t want to ruffle feathers. Hence, the tendency to not share the Gospel with people. “Rejection and ridicule? Who needs it? I’ve got enough stress in my life.”
Matthew 12;2,14 and John 7:7 call it like it is. People don’t want to expose their evil hearts and attitudes. Many have intellectual questions about the Gospel, but many more have heart problems. The brainy questions non believers have are just a cover-up for a lot of sick hearts.
That’s why you can answer all of a person’s intellectual questions about Christianity, but you can’t change their hearts. That is up to God and them. That takes the regeneration of the Holy Spirit. Only the Holy Spirit can convince people to follow Jesus. (John 16:8-11) What gets that spark changing to a raging fire in somebody is not something you have the power to do.
But we still need to try. And we still need to depend on Him.
- No interest in God. He doesn’t matter and probably doesn’t exist.
- How do you know the Bible is the word of God and is true?
- If God exists, He certainly wouldn’t judge people and send them to Hell
- Deciding about Christ now is not something I need to do.
- There is more than one way to heaven than just through Jesus. There are no absolutes. What about all the other world religious people like Muslims and Hindus? They can’t be all wrong.
- I believe in evolution. Evolution and Christianity can’t coexist.
- I don’t believe in hell, so why do I need to be saved?
- How can there be a loving God out there if there is so much evil and suffering in the world?
- What about someone in Africa who has never heard the Gospel? Is he/she going to Hell?
- The Christian church is filled with hypocrites. It can’t be the “right” religion. The record of Christians is terrible.
In near future blogs, I will analyze these 10 objections, and give you some food for thought as to how to answer them.