Jesus Christ, the carpenter from Nazareth, claimed to be God Almighty! Our finite, small brains can’t comprehend that on our own, can we? We will explore in near future blogs his many statements made in the Four Gospels that turned the world upside down.
But first things first. In order to believe what Jesus said, you have to believe that the Bible is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, because that’s where all of his statements are quoted. This makes intuitive sense. That there is not one shed of falseness in it is key for our doctrine and faith. For the individual who does not believe in the authenticity of the Bible, well, you can see how they might struggle with Jesus’s game-changing and life-changing statements. If they don’t believe in the story of Jonah, the story of creation, or about how the walls of Jericho were decimated, then they may not want to believe New Testament and Gospel accounts about Jesus and his life.
I know that if you are a Christian, you accept the fact that the Bible is God’s Word to mankind on faith. But if you are exploring Christianity, and not convinced, then look here:
These reasons are excellent discussion points for the Christian with the non-believer.
Here they are in a nutshell, from weakest, I think, to strongest: (one of my main references “One Thing you can’t do in Heaven”, by Mark Cahill)
- The Bible is the number one (that’s right, #1) selling book in the World, and has been for decades. There are over 150 million copies printed every year, and that doesn’t include digital/internet sales. This fact alone doesn’t make the Bible true. But if people would devour the Bible like they do Harry Potter books (107 million books sold total), romantic fiction novels by Danielle Steele, or Lord of the Rings trilogy (150 million books sold total), the world would be a better place, rest assured. The Bible has been translated into thousands of languages and dialects for people groups around the world. Not dozens mind you. Thousands. I know a missionary couple named
Dick and Charlotte Griffiths who spent over forty years of their lives in Papua New Guinea developing a written language for a tribe of islanders (previously they had just a verbal language) just so Dick and his co-workers could write a Bible for them! Thousands of lives have been “saved” because of their work. I have seen the finished product and it is impressive. And they are just one missionary family of thousands that have done this all over the world, in every “nook and cranny” of the globe.
- The Bible has a multitude of verses that say the God is the author. More on this next blog. These verses don’t prove that the Bible is necessarily true, however.
- There isn’t anything in history that contradicts the authenticity of the Bible. In other words, the Bible has
historical accuracy! More on this next blog.
- Archaeology supports the truth of the Bible. More on this next blog.
- The facts of fulfilled prophecies 100% of the time point to the truth of the Bible. More on this next blog.